Capitol Hill Police: Officers Fired on 20-Year-Old Taleah Everett After She Fled Crash Scene

Capitol Police Arrest - Fox5TV

U.S. Capitol Police officers fired at Taleah Everett, 20, Wednesday morning after she left her vehicle, which was blocked by police after she hit another vehicle attempting a U-turn on Independence Avenue, in front of the Rayburn House Office Building, according to a statement from the department.

“There is no evidence to indicate any nexus to terrorism at this point in the ongoing investigation,” the statement said.

Everett caught the attention of officers at 9:22 a.m., when they observed her driving in an erratic and aggressive fashion up the hill, the statement said.

It was when officers attempted to stop Everett that she made her U-turn, nearly striking Capitol Hill officers and hitting another vehicle, before she was boxed in at the intersection of Independence and Washington avenues, between the Botanical Garden greenhouses and the Barthodi Park. There are media reports that Everett smashed into a police cruiser.

“During the attempt to take the adult female suspect into custody, shots were fired by USCP officers,” the statement said. “No individuals were injured during the arrest. The investigation of this matter is being conducted by USCP Investigations Division and the USCP Office of Professional Responsibility.”

There were media reports of the Rayburn building being locked down, but the USCP statement said the Capitol itself remained open to the public and the section of Independence Avenue, closed off because of the incident and subsequent investigation, was reopened to traffic at 12:14 p.m.

Police said Everett was apprehended and processed at the Capitol Police headquarters on the Senate side of Capitol Hill, She was charged with seven counts of Assault on a Police Officer, two counts of Destruction of Property, as well as one count each of Fleeing, Leaving After Collision, and driving without a valid permit.

WRC-TV reporter Tracee Wilkins reported that Everett’s aunt told her that the arrested driver suffered from mental illness, but a judge denied the family’s attempts to intervene.




Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.