It has been confirmed through autopsy that Colin Kroll, the co-founder of the now-defunct video sharing platform Vine, died of an accidental drug overdose in December. Kroll reportedly has a mixture of drugs in his system including cocaine, heroin, and fentanyl.
News outlets reported in December that Kroll was “found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his apartment,” with cocaine and heroin “believed to be involved.”
At the time, however, the claims remained unconfirmed by the medical examiner.
On Tuesday, the medical examiner confirmed the claims, stating that Kroll died from “acute intoxication due to the combined effects of fentanyl, fluoroisobutyryl fentanyl, heroin, and cocaine.”
According to NBC New York, Kroll “was found dead in his SoHo, Manhattan, apartment on Dec. 16, 2018,” after police “responded to a 911 call for a welfare check at the Spring Street apartment where they found Kroll unconscious and unresponsive in a bedroom of the apartment.”
Kroll’s platform Vine was purchased by Twitter in October 2012, before it was launched in 2013.
After Vine shut down, Kroll released the trivia app HQ Trivia in August 2017.