Skip to content

Mexican Governor Confirms Second Mass Disappearance of Students in Mexico

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER

The Governor of the Mexican State of Guerrero confirmed a second mass disappearance of students in the rural communities of his state. While the September kidnapping of 43 education students by police made headlines worldwide, an older kidnapping of 27 students during a midnight raid went unreported.

The mass kidnapping took place on the night of July 2, 2013, when unknown gunmen stormed some of the houses in the rural town of Cocula and took 27 students, Guerrero’s governor Rogelio Ortega Martinez is quoted in the Mexican TV station Milenio.

Ortega was interviewed about the recent arrest of Cocula’s mayor, Cesar Miguel Penaloza, who is in federal police custody and is expected to face questioning for his alleged role in the kidnapping and likely execution of the 43 students from the town of Ayotzinapa.

During the interview, Ortega said that Penaloza would likely be questioned about the 27 students that went missing in 2013 and mentioned an article by the French magazine France 24 that talked about a mass kidnapping; the publication later ran a retraction.

“A few weeks ago the French press spoke about the disappearance of some teenagers, that didn’t happen this year but it did happen on July 2 and July 3, 2013 during the late night and early morning,” Ortega said. “The criminal group Guerreros Unidos kidnapped from their homes 27 teenagers that remain missing.”

The Cocula mayor joins Iguala’s mayor, Jose Luis Abarca, who is also in custody and is blamed as the man who gave the order to kidnap the students. As previously reported by Breitbart Texas, in late September, the 43 students were part of a group of protesters that were headed to the town of Iguala but were stopped by policemen from Iguala and Cocula and allegedly fired at the buses that the students were travelling in and kidnapped 43 of them. According to Mexico’s Attorney General the students were executed by a drug cartel and their bodies incinerated; however as Breitbart Texas previously reported, that version of events has fallen into question as investigators claim the evidence at the site where the bodies were burned doesn’t match with the version given by the government.

Follow Ildefonso Ortiz on Twitter and on Facebook.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.