Four men have been arrested in east London on suspicion of plotting an Islamist terror attack.
The arrests were part of an investigation by the Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism Command and MI5, and Scotland Yard said they were “linked to activity in the UK” in a statement Wednesday night.
“Officers are currently searching five residential addresses in east London and one business address, also in east London”, the force added.
The men – aged 18, 24, 25, and 27 – are suspected of involvement in the commission, preparation, or instigation of acts of terrorism.
Firearms officers were not deployed in the operation, The Times reports, and an attack was not thought to be imminent.
According to the paper, the security services do not believe the plot involved explosives or was particularly sophisticated, and it is more likely to have involved a knife or vehicle.
Earlier in the day, in a separate incident in east London, a 28-year old man who was arrested on suspicion of encouragement of terrorism has been rebailed, the force said in a statement. Two addresses were searched.
The raids come after a series of high-profile foiled Islamist plots and attacks in the capital, and the successful Westminster car and knife attack, which claimed the lives of five people.
Just under three weeks ago, an “active plot” was foiled in north London. One woman in an Islamic face veil was shot and four others were arrested.
The women and her mother were later charged with preparing acts of terrorism and plotting murder.
The raids came just hours after a man – said to be inspired by Islamic State – was arrested with a rucksack full of knives near Downing Street.
The man, named as Khalid Mohamed Omar Ali, was revealed as having been “born abroad” and has now been charged with the preparation of terrorist acts and unlawful possession of explosive substances.