The second group of mostly male Afghan and Pakistani nationals with “acute mental health problems” are expected to arrive in the United States this month from Australia after President Trump failed to executively terminate a President Obama-crafted refugee resettlement deal.
Former President Obama signed the Australian-U.S. refugee deal during his last months in office — promising to take 1,250 Middle Eastern refugees off Australia’s hands.
The refugees – who are mostly adult, single males – were being held in detention centers on Manus Island and Nauru Island in Australia. Despite Trump’s original statement calling the deal “a dumb deal,” the president has now broken two long-promised campaign pledges: Throwing out deals that don’t benefit Americans and stopping the flow of foreign refugees.
Nearly 60 Afghan and Pakistani nationals will arrive in the U.S. in February to be resettled across the country as refugees, according to VOA News.
Already, about 54 Middle Eastern refugees from the Australian detention centers have been resettled in the U.S., despite allegedly having mental health problems, as Breitbart News reported. The nearly 60 foreign nationals expected to arrive in the U.S. this month allegedly have “acute mental health problems,” according to a New York Times report.
The New York Times reported:
“If the U.S. isn’t going to accept people from certain countries, they should make that crystal clear now so Australia can make alternative arrangements,” said Elaine Pearson, the Australia director for Human Rights Watch. “There’s no time to waste — these refugees have acute mental health problems made worse by years of uncertainty and insecurity on Manus and Nauru.” [Emphasis added]
"These refugees have acute mental health problems…"
Now Trump's bringing them to US. https://t.co/gfIi61nxec
— John Binder 👽 (@JxhnBinder) December 15, 2017
As Breitbart News reported, the Australian refugee facilities that the 1,250 foreign nationals are arriving in the U.S. from have a history of rape accusations, pedophilia, and violent riots.
In January 2017, a refugee from Sri Lanka living in the detention centers raped an 18-year-old high school student multiple times after taking her to a nearby hotel, according to Loop. The girl tried to run away to a relative’s home, but suffered so much blood loss from the brutal rape that she eventually fainted.
In another case in March 2017, law enforcement officials confirmed that a 28-year-old Pakistani from the detention center had been charged with raping a 10-year-old girl, the Guardian reported.
Just a month later, refugees from the detention center were accused of trying to lure a five-year-old boy into the facility, causing an uproar in the local community about the danger which the foreign nationals have become to children, as News Corp Australia Network reported.
In 2016, after Faysal Ishak Ahmed died of an illness at the Manus Island detention center, the refugees started a riot, Reuters reported at the time. Iranian refugee Behrouz Boochani posted a picture of what he and other refugees had done to the Manus Island facilities.
This was not the first time the refugees rioted and became violent at the detention centers. Back in 2014, the Manus Island refugees led a riot that left one dead and another 60 injured, as ABC News reported at the time.
An independent report that investigated the refugees’ riots found that the destruction occurred after the groups of mostly Middle Eastern men were angered over their detention, despite being warned not to enter Australia illegally:
They began on Sunday, February 16 when asylum seekers were given answers to their questions about how soon their claims would be processed, and where they would be resettled if deemed refugees.
“The transferees’ frustration and anger following that meeting resulted in disruption and violence in Oscar compound that evening and noisy protests,” the report said.
That night, about 35 asylum seekers tried to escape from the Oscar compound when the gates were opened for dinner delivery, but were caught by guards.
On the Nauru Island, about 125 refugees went as far as to burn down the majority of the detention center where they were being housed by the Australian government, as the Guardian reported at the time.
In this incident, the refugees started a fire that caused $55 million worth of damage, destroying medical centers and accommodation blocks after attempting to break out of the detention center. The majority were from Iran, Palestine, Iraq, and Lebanon.
John Binder is a reporter for Breitbart New. Follow him on Twitter at @JxhnBinder.