Bluetooth-Connected Fidget Spinner Speakers Liable To Catch Fire

The Associated Press
The Associated Press

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a warning against fidget spinners that have inbuilt Bluetooth speakers, after incidents of the toys catching fire when charging were recorded.

Fidget spinners are the latest craze to sweep the world; originally designed as a stress-reliever for children with ADHD and autism, the tri-pronged devices are now so popular that many schools have banned them in the classroom for being a distraction. Some fidget spinners contain internal speakers that can connect to music players via Bluetooth, and these specific models are what have caused the problem, as they contain a lithium-ion battery.

Many of the fidget spinners are assembled in China, where quality and safety checks are sometimes sacrificed in favor of speed and making a cheaper product. This has led to defects and unsafe devices being shipped to the West, including lithium-ion batteries that can reach dangerous levels of heat, sparking an explosion or fire.

Kimberly Allums, from Alabama, told WBRC that she was at home when she heard her son screaming. Rushing to him, she found that his fidget spinner had completely burst into flames after having been charged for around 45 minutes. Her son had attempted to extinguish the fire by putting it in the sink. She said that it was lucky they had not left the fidget spinner to charge by itself, as the damage could have potentially been a whole lot worse if they had not been in the house at the time. Another case was reported in Michigan after a woman attempted to use her baby monitor charger to power her fidget spinner.

The CPSC has put a warning forward to anyone who owns one of these fidget spinners, instructing people to ensure that they are always charged with the cable that they came with. However, it is clear that not every spinner available on the market contains a cable when bought, with some omitting in the description for their product exactly how to charge it, and others making clear that a cable must be bought separately. A second warning was issued in conjunction with this, telling parents to be aware of the choking dangers of the device.

Jack Hadfield is a student at the University of Warwick and a regular contributor to Breitbart Tech. You can like his page on Facebook and follow him on Twitter @ToryBastard_ or on Gab @JH.


Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.