Box Office Predictions: Two Weeks Strong, Can Anyone Take Down 'Mission: Impossible'?
Sensei again did very well on predictions over the holiday weekend. His streak at calling the correct #1 film currently sits at seven straight weeks. This time around the question is simple; can anyone end "Mission: Impossible"'s run at the top?
This weekend's predictions and revenue results go as follows:
1. The Devil Inside ($18 Million) - From the film's marketing, it's clear the producers are hoping for "Paranormal Activity"-like success. Sensei disagrees and feels the film is more like "The Last Exorcism" and "The Rite." Because of this, look for a mid-range opening that just fights off the "Mission."
[youtube OyT7xMPurgw nolink]
2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol ($16 Million) - Despite being knocked off the top spot, Brad Bird's actioner still controls enough of an audience to post this healthy drop. Whether Tom Cruise is a bankable star again is another story.
[youtube QteCmX15Olo nolink]
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows ($10.7 Million) - Guy Ritchie's sequel will not equal the domestic gross of the first "Sherlock Holmes" ($209 million). Still, grossing more than $250 million worldwide doesn't make it a complete disaster either.
[youtube lNxhpNpnAkk nolink]
4. Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chip-Wrecked ($9.8 Million) - The film will break the $100 million mark, which usually means a hit. Unfortunately, the previous films in the series each grossed more than $200 million, making this the odd one out.
[youtube KBYylpAplLY nolink]
5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ($8.6 Million) - This adaptation of the Euro hit was expensive to produce. The box office results so far have been very lackluster. Unless some positive buzz kicks up, look for this film to continue fading.
[youtube hrFgnizJ7qY nolink]
That's how Sensei sees it. Do you agree or foresee "Mission" winning again?