Hillary Clinton is accusing Breitbart News of being antisemitic — and raising money off that false charge.
In a fundraising email sent by deputy communications director Christina Reynolds, the Clinton campaign says of Breitbart — founded, owned, and partly run by Jews: “They’re a different breed altogether — not just conservative but radical, bigoted, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic conspiracy peddlers who never have been and never should be anywhere near the levers of power in this country.”
The proof? Reynolds cites a headline earlier this year, written by conservative David Horowitz, that referred to Kristol as a “renegade Jew” for hurting Israel by effectively helping Clinton, who has a troubling history of anti-Israel positions.
The charge against Breitbart News is ludicrous, but since the Clinton campaign has decided to open that particular Pandora’s box, it is useful to explore some of the deeply antisemitic things Hillary Clinton and her campaign have said and done.
1. Attacking Bernie Sanders for his religion. Last month, Wikileaks released emails showing that senior officials in the Democratic National Committee (DNC) discussed helping Clinton by targeting Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) for being a Jew and, they believed, possibly an atheist. “Does he believe in a God. He had scated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps.” The scandal forced several resignations.
2. Embracing the antisemitic Black Lives Matter movement. Clinton has tied herself closely to the Black Lives Matter (BLM) organization, whose platform accuses Israel of “genocide.” Clinton supporter Alan Dershowitz said: “Until and unless Black Lives Matter removes this blood libel from its platform and renounces it, no decent person — black, white, or of any other racial or ethnic background — should have anything to do with it.” Clinton has yet to renounce BLM or its views.
3. Promoting anti-Israel articles by anti-Israel authors. The State Department’s email dump of Clinton’s correspondence — revealed that she often shared and promoted articles attacking Israel. Some of them referred to the work of Max Blumenthal, the rabidly anti-Israel author who compares Israel to Nazi Germany — and who happens to be the son of her closest adviser, Sidney Blumenthal. Clinton was forced to distance herself from the younger Blumenthal after he attacked the late Elie Wiesel.
4. Kissing and embracing terrorist Yasser Arafat’s wife after she accused Israel of gassing Palestinians. In 2000, on a visit to the West Bank, Clinton kissed Suha Arafat (above) after the latter “accused the Israeli government of poisoning Palestinian women and children with toxic gas.” The charge was particularly jarring, given that the Nazis used poison gas to murder millions of Jews in the Holocaust. Clinton’s bizarre explanation for her behavior: “I did what I was expected to do.”
5. Supporting the Iran deal, the ransom, and Tim Kaine. Clinton not only supported the Iran deal, but takes credit for the early negotiations that led to it. The deal shovels billions of dollars to the most antisemitic, terrorist regime in the world. She failed to condemn the $400 million cash ransom paid for American hostages. And she chose Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) as her running mate, who not only backed the deal but boycotted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s speech in 2015.
And then there is the antisemitism of her supporters, including actress Lena Dunham, who published an article last year, “Dog or Jewish Boyfriend? A Quiz.” Hillary Clinton embraced her regardless, joining her for an interview several months later.
Joel B. Pollak is Senior Editor-at-Large at Breitbart News. His new book, See No Evil: 19 Hard Truths the Left Can’t Handle, is available from Regnery through Amazon. Follow him on Twitter at @joelpollak.