SIGN UP FOR THE BREITBART EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Brussels Extends Terror Alert As U.S. Issues Travel Warning

Brussels will stay at the highest security threat level for another week over fears of an imminent attack, the Belgian government said, as the US issued a worldwide terror alert for its citizens.

On the third day of an unprecedented security lockdown in the Belgian capital, Prime Minister Charles Michel warned the threat of a coordinated attack in the institutional capital of Europe “remains serious and imminent”.

Belgian authorities charged a fourth person in connection with the bloodshed in Paris, when gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130 people in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group, as an international manhunt continued for key suspect Salah Abdeslam.

French police sources said Monday they had found a suspected explosives belt in a suburb near the French capital where the 26-year-old was thought to have been on the night of the killings.

The item was found in a dustbin in Montrouge, south of Paris, where a person close to the enquiry said telephone data placed Belgian-born Abdeslam on the night of November 13.

Another police source said the belt appeared to have “the same configuration” as those used by the jihadists who carried out the killings in the French capital, the country’s worst such attacks.

Washington and Paris, meanwhile, stepped up their fight against IS, with France launching its first strikes from a newly deployed aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean and the US calling for more international cooperation against the group.

Underlining heightened global fears of attacks after Islamists killed scores in Mali, Turkey and Nigeria in recent weeks, the US issued a worldwide travel alert warning American citizens of “increased terrorist threats”.

“Current information suggests that ISIL (another term for Islamic State), Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks in multiple regions,” said a State Department travel advisory.

– ‘As long as necessary’ –

In Brussels, an eerie atmosphere hung over the city for a third day with soldiers in camouflage patrolling everywhere, from railway stations to EU institutions.

The army and armed police will remain on the streets in coming days, Michel said, but schools and the metro system would reopen from Wednesday.

In the normally bustling historic Grand Place, a few bars and restaurants were open for business but they were struggling to find customers.

The European Union and NATO, which both have their headquarters in Brussels, said they would bolster security and urged non-essential staff to work from home.

As residents in Brussels struggled to get to work by bus and bike, Interior Minister Jan Jambon conceded alert had clear costs and was disruptive, but said it would “continue as long as necessary.” It will be reviewed again next Monday.

Meanwhile the federal prosecutor’s office announced that a man who was arrested during a large police operation in Belgium late Sunday has been charged with involvement in the November 13 Paris attacks, the fourth so far.

“He is charged with participating in activities of a terrorist group and with a terrorist attack,” the office said in a statement.

Mohammed Amri, 27, and Hamza Attou, 20, were charged last Monday on suspicion of helping Abdeslam escape to Brussels after the attacks, while a third unnamed person faces charges of aiding him when he reached the city.

Abeslam’s brother Mohamed on Sunday told Belgian television he thought Salah had decided at the very last moment not to go through with his attack mission.

(Read more from AFP here)

P.S. DO YOU WANT MORE ARTICLES
LIKE THIS ONE DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX?
SIGN UP FOR THE DAILY BREITBART NEWSLETTER.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.

SIGN UP FOR THE OFFICIAL
BREITBART EMAIL NEWSLETTER

GET TODAY'S TOP NEWS DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX

I don't want to get today's top news.

x