Second Amendment Defends Free Speech on Texas Campuses, Says Columnist

campus carry
Melissa Golden/AP Photo

During a September 22 appearance on Fox Business’ Varney & Co., conservative columnist Lawrence Jones said there is a great freedom to exercise free speech on Texas campuses because the students have guns.

Jones said this when asked to compare campuses in Texas to UC Berkeley.

The segment began with a guest host recounting the money Berkeley spends on security for conservative speakers on campus. The host pointed out that Berkeley “shelled out $300,000 in security costs for its Free Speech Week.” He pointed out that the $300,000 is in addition to the $600,000 the school paid in security fees for single speaker’s appearance at an earlier date.

The camera then shifted to Lawrence Jones, who joined the show from Dallas. The host summarized the $900,000 in security costs and asked, “What the heck is going on on college campuses?”

Jones said, “You would think that the universities would be a place where the professors would encourage free speech. Even when you don’t agree with the speech, that they would tell the students, ‘This is way where we have free conversation; we talk about things.’ But that’s not the case. The professors now have an agenda and it’s a liberal agenda; and they choose now to shut down the speech of conservative students, not promote more speech that they disagree with.”

The host then asked, “I would assume that you were a conservative student at your university, were you free to speak your mind?”

Jones replied, “Well, we can speak our mind in Texas because we have students on campus that can carry guns. So we don’t have that many people trying to be violent because they know that we have that Second Amendment to protect that First.”

AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and host of Bullets with AWR Hawkins, a Breitbart News podcast. He is also the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.