A survey has shown that around one in five Conservative Party Members support Scottish independence. YouGov asked 900 party members which of the following two comments they agreed with:
- I want Scotland to become an independent country, and leave the United Kingdom.
- I do not want Scotland to become an independent country, and leave the United Kingdom.
A total of 22 percent supported the first proposition, whilst the remaining 78 percent backed the latter.
Paul Osborn from the Tory pressure group Conservative Way Forward told Breitbart London: “After years of ill-considered tampering with the British Constitution by Labour and a failure by the Conservatives to address the issues brought up by the devolution of power to the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly, these figures hardly come as a surprise.
“You can’t sustainably have a position where Scottish and Welsh Members of the UK Parliament are able to vote on laws that are just for England, but English MPs have no say over the same matters in Scotland or Wales.
“When you then add in the amount of decisions now taken by Bureaucrats in Brussels, and the failure of successive Governments to consult the people on this transfer of power through a referendum, you can see why people no longer value the Union to the extent they used to.”
Former MP and ConservativeHome editor, Paul Goodman, said: “Four in five of Party members not wanting Scotland to leave is an overwhelming majority, but that one in five take the opposite view is in one sense remarkable – this is the Conservative and Unionist Party, after all.
“It is also disappointing. I am all for justice for England. But we would all be smaller were Scotland to go.”