UK counter-terror police arrested a man arriving into the country from France onboard a coach at Folkstone, on the south Kentish coast, Tuesday morning.
The 42-year-old male was detained around 0100 Tuesday morning as the coach from France arrived in Folkstone, Kent, reports KentLive.
The Metropolitan police said the Counter Terrorism Command had led the investigation which led to the man’s arrest, which was under section 5 of the Terrorism Act, and that the action was in connection with the war in Syria.
The man is being questioned in a police station in Kent, and remains in custody.
Record Number of UK Terror Arrests, Surge 58 Per Cent in One Year https://t.co/Vzr866iBug
— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) March 9, 2018
The United Kingdom remains on a high terror alert following a series of deadly mass-casualty terror attacks in 2017 including the Westminster Bridge, Manchester Arena, and London Bridge attacks. Breitbart London reported in March that the UK had been a record number of terror arrests, surging 58 per cent over the previous year.
Government statistics at the time revealed the vast majority of suspects were men, and they were mainly British ‘Asians’ originating from South Asia. Ben Wallace, the security minister, then said in a statement: “The police and security services have been clear about the scale of the threat we face.
“We will continue to work with them and other agencies to ensure we have a broad response to all forms of terrorism both now and in the future.
“The public should remain alert but not alarmed and report any suspicions they have about unusual activity or behaviour to the appropriate authorities.”
The Met Police has confirmed they make terror-related arrests “on a near daily basis”.https://t.co/Pb8vwmsnX7
— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) April 29, 2017