Infamous Islamic State Recruiter Anjem Choudary to Walk Free Next Week

BRITAIN-COURT-IRAQ-SYRIA-CONFLICT
NIKLAS HALLE'N/AFP/Getty Images

Infamous Islamist terror-supporter Anjem Choudary will walk free next week, after finishing around half his jail term for recruiting for Islamic State.

He could be out as soon as Wednesday, The Sun has learnt, with the extremist expected to be given a “safe house” and allowed to claim benefits from the taxpayer when he is free.

Security services have been preparing for a major operation to stop him forming a new terror movement, with him and his associates banned from contacting each other.

The radical Islamist, 51, has served just half of a five-and-a-half-year jail term, handed to him in 2016, for inciting British jihadists to fight for Islamic State.

He was linked to numerous deadly attacks and regularly appeared in the media promoting radical Islamism, for years being careful not to openly break the law, before finally being convicted for an online video.

London Bridge terrorist Khuram Butt was linked to his network, as well as suspected executioner “new Jihadi John” Siddhartha Dhar, failed suicide bomber Omar Sharif, and Brusthom Ziamani, a teenager jailed for 22 years after plotting mass murder in London.

Prisons Minister Rory Stewart said last month his short sentence was due to a “lack of evidence” but promised MI5 and police will “watch [him] like a hawk” when he is free, to stop him from inciting further attacks.

He described him as “a deeply pernicious, destabilising influence” and “a genuinely dangerous person”.

Last month, government figures revealed a convicted terrorist is released from jail onto the UK streets every week.

Between March 2017 and March 2018, 46 convicts imprisoned for terror offences were released from prison.

At least 22 of Choudary’s known supporters have been set free since the 9/11 terror attacks in New York City and another five are up for parole in 12 months.

Meanwhile, the number of terrorists entering jail is also rising, with Home Office statistics revealing last month the number brought to justice in the UK has reached its highest level in a decade.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon, Counter Terrorism Police Senior National Coordinator, said:

“At a time when we are still seeing unprecedented levels of demand across [counter terror] Policing, we are still working tirelessly to ensure that our investigations yield positive results at court.”

“We’re not only successfully prosecuting more people than ever before, but we’re also jailing the most dangerous offenders for longer – helping to keep the public safe,” he added.

.

Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.