Democrat Kyrsten Sinema’s staff refuse to tell Breitbart News if the Senate candidate still wants to license all gun owners and expand background checks for law-abiding citizens.
Breitbart News spoke with staff in her DC office as well as in Arizona, and no one would answer questions on Sinema’s gun control support. Rather, they directed us to email her communications director, Nick Zeller, who never responded.
We asked Zeller is Sinema still supports licensing all gun owners because On the Issues reports that she expressed support for “gun licenses” in 2006.
We also asked if she still supports expanding background checks for law-abiding citizens because she co-sponsored background check gun control as recently as last year. On October 9, 2018, Breitbart News reported that she was one of 194 Democrats who co-sponsored a bill to put new regulations on gun shows and expand background checks to cover “all commercial sales.”
Sinema’s staff also refused to tell Breitbart News where she stands on an “assault weapons” ban.
Sinema’s Republican opponent, Martha McSally, is a strong proponent of the Second Amendment.
The NRA Political Victory Fund reports that McSally’s pro-gun positions:
- Supports Pro-Gun Supreme Court Justices – Supports pro-Second Amendment nominees to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Supports Right-to-Carry – Voted for the strongest Concealed Carry Reciprocity legislation ever to come before the U.S. Congress, which would ensure that the nearly 20 million law-abiding Americans who can carry a concealed firearm in their home state are able to do so in any other state that does not prohibit concealed carry.
- Supports Protecting America’s Communities – Voted to strengthen school security, reform our broken mental health system and make sure the background check system is instant, accurate and fair.
- Supports America’s Hunting Heritage – Voted for the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreation Enhancement (SHARE) Act, a bill that would benefit sportsmen throughout Arizona and the country.
- Opposes U.N. Gun Ban Treaty – Opposes any international treaty by the United Nations or other global organizations that would impose restrictions on American gun owners.
- Opposes Semi-Auto Ban – Opposes Senator Dianne Feinstein’s failed semi-auto ban that would ban commonly owned semi-automatic firearms used for hunting, recreational shooting and self-defense.
- Supports Veterans’ Second Amendment Rights – Voted for legislation to protect veterans’ Second Amendment rights.
- Opposes Backdoor Gun Ban – Voted to strike down an Obama-era regulation that would have stripped Social Security recipients of their Second Amendment rights without due process.
Early voting in the race between Sinema and pro-gun McSally is already underway in Arizona.
AWR Hawkins is an award-winning Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News, the host of the Breitbart podcast Bullets with AWR Hawkins, and the writer/curator of Down Range with AWR Hawkins, a weekly newsletter focused on all things Second Amendment, also for Breitbart News. He is the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up to get Down Range at breitbart.com/downrange.