Friday Call Sheet: 'The Five' Buries Colbert, Joel Silver Divorces Warners, Movies Won the Cold War
1. CABLE RATINGS: "THE FIVE" HUMILIATES COLBERT, NIPS AT STEWART'S HEELS
"The Five" 1.505 million viewers
#21: "Daily Show" -- 1.623 million
#47: "Colbert Report" 1.195
2. KYLE SMITH GIVES 'AVENGERS' THREE STARS
Such is Whedon’s skilled playfulness that, without the movie getting too self-referential, everyone gets plenty of sharp lines, even the pilot trying to shoot down Hulk, who says, “Target engaged . . . Target angry!” Reaching for a bit of the underlying seriousness of “The Dark Knight,” though, Whedon can’t quite grasp it. He raises an interesting point by Loki that man loves to be subjugated, but doesn’t flesh it out (though he does bring in an awkward reference to Hitler’s spell over Germany).
3. WOW: JOEL SILVER AND WARNERS DIVORCE
I can tell you that the tipping point came during Christmas 2011, when Silver began loudly complaining around Hollywood, and using surrogates to grouse directly to showbiz media, about Warner Bros’ handling of "Sherlock Holmes 2"‘s release. Silver was a producer on the sequel, which was playing catch up to that holiday’s runaway No. 1, Paramount’s Mission: Impossible 4. Silver and his surrogates bitched about everything, from the studio’s marketing and distribution to the fact that Warner Bros shouldn’t have paired a first glimpse of its hot "The Dark Knight Rises" footage with M:I4‘s IMAX release.
4. MARKETING: CREATING A MONSTER MOVIE HIT
Ten years ago, filmmakers were focused on creating great DVD extras to draw in audiences with added value after their feature left the big screen. Now, the emphasis is on clever, pre-release online advertising – and Prometheus has broken the mold.
5. YES, 'JOHN CARTER' WAS A HIT IN RUSSIA. HERE'S WHY.
It is so far from what people know that they are carried away by it. All the big box-office successes of recent years in Russia are united by this complete mistrust of daily reality in all its forms, this ostrich-like head-in-the-sand mentality. Only fantasy, fiction and animation become box office hits in Russia. Anything which bears any resemblance to the real life of this country and its people is completely ignored by Russians when they go to the cinema. Anything which has a connection with society, with reality, and not melodramatic events – if it makes it to the screen – is destined to be a flop.
6. DIRECTOR TIMUR BEKMAMBETOV SAYS AMERICAN FILMS ARE LOSING THEIR VOICE
"Hollywood films destroyed the Soviet Union in the '80s," he said. "The whole revolution -- perestroika -- happened because of American movies, I feel. When the first VHS players appeared, everyone had one in their house and could copy and distribute movies. People thought, 'Oh my God, there is a great life somewhere else.'"
7. "WE HAVE AN OBLIGATION..."
The corporate guys running Hollywood talk a nice slick game, but many of them don't care too much about preserving anything. Most care about their earnings and assets. Most of them are wolves in the forest, and not much more than that. Okay, some corporates care and are standing up and doing the right thing as best they can. But would Brad Grey have committed the Paramount funds to restore and preserve the Godfather films if Steven Spielberg hadn't urged (i.e., pressured) him to do so? Why di dit take Paramnount so long to commit to a Shane restoration for a Bluray? Why is Sony Home Video still stalling on releasing that From Here to Eternity Bluray that they prepared in 2009?
8. ACTRESS DETAILS AMAZON'S ALLEGED DATA-MINING FRAUD IN AMENDED IMDB LAWSUIT
Huang Hoang, the actress who sued IMDb for revealing her real age, submitted an amended lawsuit against Amazon.com and its iMDb subsidiary on Wednesday. The new complaint has been changed to reflect a newfound emphasis on Amazon's purported "data-mining" practices, including the allegation that when customers purchase products on Amazon, the company shares data with iMDb.
9. LARS VON TRIER’S ‘NYMPHOMANIAC,’ CHARTING A WOMAN’S SEXUAL LIFE FROM ZERO TO 50
So, yes, that means that Lars von Trier is going to release a film dedicated to exploring the sexual life of a child. Interns at Fox News are already hard at work crafting outraged headlines. More details (on the films, not the predicted controversy) below. …
He also discussed plans to release softcore and hardcore versions of each film — and the hardcore scenes will still use doubles for the super-explicit scenes[.]
10. ANDREW BREITBART: LEADING THE CHARGE AGAINST THE LEFT
Last month, America lost a patriot; the conservative movement lost a leader; Samson, Mia, Charlie and Will lost a devoted father and Susie a devoted husband. As for me, I lost my boss, my mentor, my friend and my hero.
1. ADAM MCKAY TO REMAKE 'UPTOWN SATURDAY NIGHT'
2. MORE SLOBBERING COVERAGE OF SHOW NO ONE WATCHES
3. 'SECRETS OF BIN LADEN'S LAIR' PROVIDES EXCLUSIVE NEW DETAILS FROM CLASSIFIED INTELLIGENCE
4. 'AMERICAN GUNS’ UP 50% WITH SECOND SEASON PREMIERE ON DISCOVERY
5. PREPARE FOR BUSH JOKES DURING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION
6. 'KICK-ASS 2' STILL SET TO FILM THIS SUMMER
7. RUMOR: SAM RAIMI IN TALKS TO REMAKE ‘POLTERGEIST’
8. WHEN ROBERT DOWNEY, JR. MOVES ON, WILL MARVEL JUST PUT A NEW ACTOR IN IRON MAN’S ARMOR?
9. ‘CHRONICLE’ DIRECTOR CONFIRMED TO BE WORKING ON ‘FANTASTIC FOUR’ REBOOT
10. EXCLUSIVE 'BATTLESHIP' CLIP SNEAK PEEK: 'LIGHT IT UP'
11. RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES SEQUEL A GO
12. ROSIE O'DONNELL ON LINDSAY LOHAN: SOMEONE HAD TO SAY WHAT I SAID
13. IT’S OFFICIAL: RYAN SEACREST CLOSES DEAL WITH NBCUNIVERSAL
14. INTERVIEW: CHRIS HEMSWORTH, THOR IN ‘THE AVENGERS’
15. JOHNNY DEPP AND THE COLLINS FAMILY IN OVER 30 NEW PICTURES FROM 'DARK SHADOWS'
SCOTTDS' EPIC LINKTACULAR
WHAT HOLLYWOOD NEED TO LEARN FROM 'THINK LIKE A MAN'
SCREENWRITERS HIRED FOR 'THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SEQUEL'
33 SCI-FI AND FANTASY FILMS THAT COULD ROCK OUR SUMMER
3 LESSONS TO LEARN FROM RICH ROSS' DEPARTURE FROM DISNEY
AN UPDATE ON THE 'ENDER'S GAME' MOVIE ADAPTATION
COOL INFOGRAPHIC: THIS SUMMER'S MOVIES EXPLAINED
6 HORROR FLICKS THAT ARE ALSO FUNNY
WHEN MODERN DIRECTORS ATTEMPT TO REMAKE SLAPSTICK COMEDY
FILMMAKING TIPS FROM STANLEY KUBRICK
NEW TO HOME VIDEO
G.I. JOE: RENEGADES: SEASON ONE, VOLUME 1 -- On June 5th, Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Hasbro Studios, will release G.I. JOE: RENEGADES: SEASON ONE, VOLUME 1 on DVD!! Fans and collectors can pre-order the DVD release of G.I. JOE: RENEGADES: SEASON ONE, VOLUME 1 today! The DVD is available for preorder on Amazon.com.
Please send link requests to email@example.com or Twitter @NolteNC.