Last week, President Obama announced an initial proposal to make two years of community college free to any American.
“Put simply, what I’d like to do is to see the first two years of community college free for anybody who’s willing to work for it,” the President said in announcing the plan. It’s something we can accomplish, and it’s something that will train our workforce so that we can compete in the world.”
Shortly after the announcement, Cory Fritz, spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner, told USA Today, “With no details or information on the cost, this seems more like a talking point than a plan.”
Now, Boehner’s office has responded to President Obama’s proposal directly–using GIFs of Taylor Swift to emphasize his points.
Here’s the dispatch from Boehner staffers Caleb Smith and Mike Ricci:
1.) Last week, President Obama announced his latest idea to provide “free” community college to millions of Americans. It sounded exciting at first…
2) But then, we got to thinking…
3) Free?! Is he using magic money? Nothing is free. So we did a little math.
4) Turns out…when President Obama said “free” what he meant was “60 billion dollars over 10 years.” Not even all the Taylor Swift album sales in the world would cover that bill.
5) Still, 60 billion dollars is a lot of money…you can’t just shake it off.
6) And the President knows full well there’s no blank space in the taxpayers’ checkbook.
See the rest of Boehner’s “12 Taylor Swift GIFs For You” here.