Hillary Clinton’s videotaped meeting with Black Lives Matter Boston protesters has been released to the public, and it’s nothing short of hilarious. There are many wonderful takeaways from Clinton’s rambling non-answer to the protesters about the issue of mass incarceration, but here are just a few that are so clueless and awkward they make Mitt Romney look like Miles Davis.
1. Hillary nodding and saying “Mmm-hmm” when the guy talking to her says that the prison system is like the old plantation system.
2. The Hillary staffer who interrupts the conversation, forcing the guy to talk about how far he and his fellow protesters drove to be there.
“Yeah, we’re not stopping you,” says the Hillary staffer. “You’ve got a couple more minutes. We’ve still got more people waiting in the overflow room.”
3. When Hillary first says the word “black.” I don’t think she understands that it’s not an offensive term.
“I have spent most of my adult life focused on kids….particularly poor kids, particularly, you know, black kids and Hispanic kids…”
4. When Hillary says that America hasn’t recovered from slavery and that most people don’t care.
“Once you say that this country has still not recovered from its original sin, which is true,” Clinton says before addressing “people on the sidelines, which is the vast majority of Americans” who say “so what do you want me to do about it? What am I supposed to do about it?”
5. Hillary explaining politics to the folks.
“In politics, if you can’t explain it and you can’t sell it, it stays on the shelf.”
6. Hillary suggesting that maybe the protesters should actually get a plan to, you know, do something.
“They had a plan ready to go” Hillary said of the women’s, civil rights, and gay movements “back in the day.”
7. When Hillary does an insulting impression of white people at Yankee Stadium, which is in the state for which she was a senator.
“All I’m saying is, your analysis is totally fair…but you’re going to have to come together as a movement and say here’s what we want done about it because you can get lip service from as many people as you can pack into Yankee Stadium and a million more like it who will say, “Oh we get it we get it, we need to be nicer.”
8. Hillary calls herself a “sinner” and talks about the need for “consciousness-raising.”
“The youth of your movement is so critical…even for us sinners, find some common ground on agendas…”