According to a study at the Migration Policy Institute, three million of the USA’s 11.4 million Illegal immigrants live in California, sixty percent of whom live in Los Angeles County and nearby surrounding counties.
The study also reveals that Los Angeles County alone contains half a million illegal immigrants who qualify for assistance under Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program and 1.1 million qualify for his new Deferred Action for Parental Accountability program.
The MPI analyzed 94 out of over 3,000 counties in the nation who host the largest illegal populations and took an in-depth look at their English proficiency, employment status, and countries of origin. Here are a few facts the study was able to determine:
- Roughly 5.2 million people who are eligible for President Barack Obamas deferred action or Executive Amnesty program are living in just 10 states. Those states include California, Texas and New York, which are beholden to over 75% of those 5.2 million recipients nationally.
- Nearly 3 million out of the 11.4 million immigrants in the U.S. illegally are living in California. Of that population, roughly 60% of them are living in six Southern California in Los Angeles,Orange, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura Counties.
- Mexicans overwhelmingly make up the largest percentage of illegal aliens in almost every county in the nation, and particularly in Los Angeles. Yet, Brazilians dominate the illegal population in Boston, Guatemalans in Connecticut, and Colombians (not Cubans) in Miami.
- Only 57% of illegal aliens who are eligible for Obama’s original DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program came forward over a span of two years, with immigrants from Mexico, Honduras, and Peru applying for the program in the greatest concentrations.
- 1.8 million (56%) of California’s 3 million-person illegal population are not proficient in English. Just 4% of them speak only English with 20% of them speaking English “very well.”
With the 2016 presidential elections right around the corner, issues of voter fraud have been surfacing once again. Close to 1.4 million illegal immigrants are expected to receive driver’s licenses in California alone under Obama’s new law. Republicans are credited with ensuring the new licenses will look somewhat different from ordinary driver’s licenses for legal immigrants.
The GOP-inspired move is included in Assembly Bill 60 (AB 60) that Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law in September of 2013. The front of the licenses will reportedly say “Federal Limits Apply” and the back will read “This card is not acceptable for official federal purposes.”
Follow Adelle Nazarian on Twitter: @AdelleNaz.