Box Office: 'Think Like a Man' Holds #1, New Releases Disappoint
[F]our new low-cost movies open[ed] in North American [in]wide release and [are performing] worse than expected at the box office. Universal’s R-rated comedy The Five–Year Engagement (2,936 theaters) from Judd Apatow’s banner is falling victim to both Sony/Screen Gems7 holdover Think Like A Man (2,014 theaters) which will end up #1 and Warner Bros’ The Lucky One (3,175 theaters) which should finish #2. Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games (3,572 theaters) hangs in for #4 today as it creeps towards $375M domestic cume.
1. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 2 [2,015 Theaters] PG13
Friday $5.2M (-57%), Weekend $16M, Cume $58.9M
2. The Lucky One (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,175 Theaters] PG13
Friday $3.9M (-57%), Weekend $11.5M, Cume $40.1M
3. The Five-Year Engagement (Universal) NEW [2,936 Theaters] R
Friday $3.7M, Weekend $11.1M
4. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 6 [3,572 Theaters] PG13
Friday $2.9M, Weekend $10.8M, Cume $372.3M
5. Pirates! Band of Misfits (Sony) NEW [3,358 Theaters] PG
Friday $2.8M, Weekend $10.9M
Full analysis here.