NBC News made it official Thursday with the announcement from NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack that Lester Holt has been named the permanent anchor of the NBC Nightly News. That means Brian Williams has permanently lost his anchor chair.
The announcement also confirmed that after his six-month suspension ends in August, Williams will move to MSNBC. The disgraced anchor will lead breaking news coverage on the left-wing cable news channel:
Williams, who was an anchor at MSNBC from 1996 to 2004, will now join MSNBC as anchor of breaking news and special reports. He will work with Mark Lukasiewicz, SVP of Special Reports for NBCU News Group, who will help lead a team to strengthen MSNBC’s daytime coverage by further leveraging NBC News’ expertise in breaking news. In addition, Williams will serve as a breaking news anchor for NBC News live special reports when Holt is not available. He will begin the new role in mid-August.
In the announcement, Williams apologized for his serial lies:
In his return to NBC, Williams said: “I’m sorry. I said things that weren’t true. I let down my NBC colleagues and our viewers, and I’m determined to earn back their trust. I will greatly miss working with the team on Nightly News, but I know the broadcast will be in excellent hands with Lester Holt as anchor. I will support him 100% as he has always supported me. I am grateful for the chance to return to covering the news. My new role will allow me to focus on important issues and events in our country and around the world, and I look forward to it.”
An interview with Williams conducted by Matt Lauer will air tomorrow morning on “The Today Show.” According to the scuttlebutt, Williams will again apologize. The interview was taped earlier this week.
Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC