A former San Diego State University student accused of sexual assault last December has announced plans to bring a lawsuit against the institution after charges were dropped and the student’s suspension was lifted.
Francisco Sousa, a transfer student from Portugal, faced charges of forcible oral copulation with force and false imprisonment with force before the District Attorney determined the charges could not be proven beyond reasonable doubt, according to an April report in the University’s newspaper the Daily Aztec.
Sousa has now said he will seek not only monetary damages from the University, but also an apology from officials for sending an all-campus email that informed the University community that he had been arrested 10 News reported. Sousa’s suspension was lifted when the university determined the sexual misconduct allegations were unsubstantiated.
“One of the things I want from San Diego State is for them to send a public email to students to announce the decision, the same way they sent an email to make me look like a criminal,” Sousa said according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Sousa was arrested on December 9, 2014, according to the Aztec. He was suspended the same day as the arrest.
The Aztec detailed in its April report that the District Attorney would not pursue charges against Sousa and that Sousa was planning to sue the university for failing to provide his defense with important information. At that time Sousa remained on suspension.
Sousa has enrolled in a new school, according to local ABC News affiliate 10 News.
The Aztec also reported that in January, “SDSU received a $200,000 California grant to fund a sexual assault victim advocate and other resources.” It also stated that 17 sexual assaults had been reported in one semester last school year.
The university has said that it does not comment on pending litigation.
Follow Michelle Moons on Twitter @MichelleDiana