E-cigarette Explodes in SoCal Man’s Face

E-cigarette (Regis Duvignau / Reuters)
Regis Duvignau / Reuters

A Ramona, California man smoking an e-cigarette found himself headed to the hospital after the device exploded, cutting his face and shattering a nearby display case at the Stage Stop liquor store Saturday.


The man was rushed to UCSD Burn Center after the incident, Cal Fire confirmed to NBC San Diego. His current condition is unknown.

Local Vape Lounge owner Marlow Younan told the local news station that he has never seen such an incident happen himself, suggesting such a malfunction could occur if a device is not cared for properly.

E-cigarettes operate using a heating element to vaporize a liquid solution. A U.S. Fire Administration report details, “Solutions (also called juice) usually contain a mixture of propylene glycol (PG), which increases flavor; vegetable glycerin (VG), which increases vapor; nicotine; and flavorings. Some juices provide flavored vapor without nicotine.”

The U.S. Fire Administration reported, “Fires or explosions caused by e-cigarettes are rare,” in an October 2014 release. That report noted 25 incidents between 2009 and August 2014 resulting in nine injuries and no deaths.

Follow Michelle Moons on Twitter @MichelleDiana


Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.