For all the momentum 2nd Amendment detractors seemed to have at their disposal with their politicization of the Sandy Hook tragedy, pro-gun Virginia legislators have proven very successful at shooting down multiple anti-gun measures already this year.
Included in the defeated bills are the following:
- SB 785 - Would have made a gun owner liable if his gun was taken and misused.
- SB 1281 - Would have required "universal background checks" in Virginia.
- SB 1136/SB 1232 - Both would have required "universal background checks."
- SB 1012 - To prohibit guns in the General Assembly except by legislators and police.
- SB 1148 - Ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds.
Another bill (SB 1001), aimed at ending the "gun show loophole," was defeated as well. However, supporters may try to re-introduce it to the legislature, making it a bill Virginia gun owners need to keep an eye on.