Less than a year ago, Beltway pundits laughed when rank and file conservatives said the Common Core standards would be a major issue in the 2016 presidential race. Now, the conservative stars of the GOP who are lining up as potential contenders know the education reform initiative boondoggle will be a critical aspect of the debates.
The Virginia state Senate voted Friday to ban the adoption of the controversial Common Core standards without the prior approval of the General Assembly.
Democrat Party leaders in the state of Washington have condemned the Common Core standards in a new resolution, one that is similar to a resolution passed by Washington State Republicans last year.
Traditional Media Must Work: Gov. Pence Kills State-Run ‘News’ Site, Says He Read About It In The Papers
Traditional journalism outlets apparently work, since they are how Indiana Governor Mike Pence says he learned about his administration's plan to launch a "news" site of its own. The site, to be called "Just IN," has been shelved.
American Federation of Teachers Head: School Choice Helps ‘Spread Teaching of Junk Creationist Science’
With National School Choice Week underway in the United States, Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), tweeted out her disdain for school choice vouchers for private schools with a link to a piece written at MSNBC by Zack Kopplin two years ago.
Four middle school students in Wisconsin have been arrested and are facing sexual assault charges after a report that they recorded their “sex party” on their phones.
Economist and author Thomas Sowell has a way of very succinctly articulating profound truths. The Cato Institute tweeted one such nugget as the country celebrates National School Choice Week
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R), a potential 2016 presidential candidate, is walking back Monday’s report in the Indianapolis Star that he is launching a taxpayer-funded, state-run “news” site.
To honor National School Choice Week, Louisiana U.S. Sen. David Vitter (R) announced Monday that he has introduced the Local Control of Education Act, a measure that would ban the federal government from mandating the adoption of specific standards—such as the Common Core standards—as well as curriculum and assessments.
Responding to pro-abortion House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s statement last week that she had “great standing” to speak about the issue of abortion because she is a “Catholic and a mom of five,” San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone said that “no Catholic can dissent in good conscience” from the Church’s teaching on the sanctity of human life.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Confirmation hearings begin for Carter as next Defense secretary, amid daunting global challenges31 Jan 2015, 11:46 AM PDT
- GOP House to vote next week to repeal ObamaCare, after attacking law piece by piece31 Jan 2015, 10:02 AM PDT
- Michelle Obama defends 'American Sniper' at veterans event31 Jan 2015, 12:00 AM PDT
- Texas bill would allow teachers to use deadly force against students30 Jan 2015, 11:00 PM PDT
- 1,000 'criminal aliens' released by ICE committed new crimes, Grassley says30 Jan 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
Fox News National
- Los Angeles female-only mosque may be first in US; aims to empower women31 Jan 2015, 10:32 AM PDT
- Things to know about the Boston Marathon bombing trial as jury selection continues31 Jan 2015, 10:30 AM PDT
- Historic leadership change at NY Assembly looks like done deal despite calls for transparency31 Jan 2015, 9:15 AM PDT
- Letter with suspicious powder received at Samaritan's Purse charity headquarters in Boone, NC31 Jan 2015, 9:01 AM PDT
- Police: Atlanta area man shot dead trying to rob dog breeder31 Jan 2015, 8:36 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Pitt knocks off No. 8 ND on Robinson's late runner31 Jan 2015, 12:15 PM PDT
- Wisconsin completes season sweep of Iowa31 Jan 2015, 11:57 AM PDT
- Serena wins another Aussie crown31 Jan 2015, 9:34 AM PDT
- First-place Bolts try to extend run at home vs. Blue Jackets31 Jan 2015, 9:31 AM PDT
- Shockers and Panthers meet in pivotal MVC melee31 Jan 2015, 8:46 AM PDT