An Afghan who threatened to commit a vehicular terror attack which targeted “white people” because he was frustrated waiting for his refugee status has been spared jail.
Ruzykhan Sayadi, 23, was sentenced to a community order for 18 months, rehabilitation activity for 20 days, and a curfew on Thursday, after being found guilty in late January of racially aggravated intentional harassment and causing alarm or distress, the Oxford Mail reports.
Oxford Crown Court heard that the Afghan had gone to the Citizens Advice Bureau to ask for help because of debt he had accrued when he told an advisor on August 21st, 2017, that he had grown frustrated with waiting to be granted asylum and made threats to commit a vehicular and/or knife attack akin to the Westminster and London Bridge terror attacks.
Sentencing Judge Ian Pringle QC said: “You became more and more frustrated about the situation you were in, the lack of asylum status you had.
“You began to express to Mr Malik [the CAB advisor] that you had been patient for a long time and started to talk about carrying out a violent attack.
“Maybe with a knife, maybe with a car that you would drive into a crowd, and concentrating on white people.
“Mr Malik said that you had sworn in a mosque that you would do that.”
Nevertheless, the asylum seeker did not receive a prison sentence. The sentencing judge was the same man who spared Lavina Woodward, who stabbed her boyfriend in a drunken rage, from prison because she was a bright Oxford University student and he felt it would be “too severe”.
Palestinian Migrant Who Attacked Hamburg Shoppers Wanted to Kill Christians – But Will Not be Charged With Terrorism https://t.co/FHQvp9vFPI
— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) November 12, 2017
Despite threats to commit the act of terror and the involvement of ‘specialist police’, he was only charged with the one count of harassment.
Sayadi’s defence lawyer Peter du Feu said that he made the threats because he was in a “low state”.
“He is really at a low point because of his determination to achieve asylum status in this country,” du Feu added.
Less than two weeks ago another man, Mohammed Farooq, was spared jail at Croydon Magistrates’ Court after he threatened to blow up a primary school. He left a message on Crescent Primary School’s answer phone on June 8th, saying: “Yo Cres, don’t cry when you get blown up.”
Instead, he received a suspended sentence and money deducted from his benefits, according to the Croydon Advertiser.
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) April 9, 2017
Breitbart London has previously reported on asylum seekers acting out in violence because they were “frustrated” with the asylum system.
In August 2015, an Eritrean migrant Abraham Ukbagabir stabbed a woman and her adult son to death in an Ikea in Västerås, Sweden, hours after his asylum application had been rejected.
He subsequently admitted in court that the attack was in revenge for the government’s asylum decision.