Report: Two Facebook Employees Possibly Exposed to Toxic Sarin

Facebook plans pay boost for content moderators

Two Facebook staff members were possibly exposed to sarin — a highly toxic agent — at the technology giant’s Menlo Park mailing facility on Monday, according to a report.

Kron4 reports, citing local officials, that Menlo Park fire crews have been dispatched to the scene.

Menlo Park Fire Marshal Jon Johnston said Monday that incoming mail undergoing routine processing by machine tested positive for sarin, but that there are no reports of injuries at the Silicon Valley site.

“Right now we don’t have anybody that has any symptoms,” he said. “We’re just doing verification.”

The FBI is assisting in the investigation, as is common in incidents such as this one.

Facebook spokesman Anthony Harrison said four buildings were evacuated and that three have been cleared for people to come back in. The suspicious package was delivered around 11 a.m. local time to one of the company’s mail rooms, he said.

“Authorities have not yet identified the substance found,” Harrison wrote.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says sarin is a chemical warfare agent that is a clear, colorless, odorless and tasteless liquid. It can evaporate into the environment, prompting symptoms within seconds.

A drop of sarin on skin can cause sweating and muscle twitching, and exposure to large doses can result in paralysis and respiratory failure leading to death.

The CDC says people who are mildly exposed usually recover completely.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 


Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.