Labour and Tory Councillors Abandon 'Grand Coalition' Plans Following Media Scrutiny
Plans between Labour and Conservative councillors to establish a 'grand coalition' to lock out UKIP colleagues are being abandoned after media reports earlier this week.
Meetings were in place to discuss Tory and Labour councillors' power sharing on Thurrock council in order to make UKIP's gains in the area irrelevant. But after negative publicity around the move, talks have been cancelled.
The Thurrock Gazette reports that a meeting scheduled for yesterday afternoon between Labour council group leader John Kent and senior Tory Rob Gledhill was cancelled "following the Thurrock Gazette's front page story this week.”
Mr Gledhill said: “John Kent invited me to [Friday's] meeting on Wednesday. There were no details on what was to be discussed. This meeting was then cancelled on Thursday afternoon, again without details.”
The initial plans which sought to lock UKIP's six councillors out of the decision-making process were slammed by UKIP, Tory and Labour activists alike.
The Conservatives may not even have received much from the deal. Sources claimed that the group would not have demanded senior seats in the council’s cabinet, instead asking Labour to vote for a Conservative mayor at the annual council meeting on June 11th.
UKIP's newly elected MEP and parliamentary candidate for Thurrock wrote for Breitbart London earlier this week demanding answers of the two parties. He said: "We’d always known the other parties were indistinguishable. Blue Labour or Cheap Labour. You couldn’t put a cigarette paper between them. We’ve been proved right. The choices couldn’t be clearer. Vote Tory, get Labour. Vote Labour, get Tories. Or vote UKIP – get UKIP."