SIGN UP FOR THE BREITBART EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Munich Killer Planned Shooting For Year, Shot Victims At Random

The 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people in a shooting spree in Munich had been planning his crime for a year but chose his victims at random, officials said on Sunday.

“He had been preparing (the shooting) for a year,” Bavarian police chief Robert Heimberger told a news conference.

Chief prosecutor Thomas Steinkraus-Koch added that he did not specifically choose his victims.

“It is not the case that he deliberately selected” the people who he shot, he said.

Europe reacted in shock to the third attack on the continent in just over a week, after David Ali Sonboly went on a shooting spree at a shopping centre on Friday before turning the gun on himself.

Officials said Saturday that Sonboly, a German-Iranian student, had a history of mental illness.

Investigators said they saw an “obvious link” between the killings and white supremacist Anders Breivik’s massacre of 77 people in Norway exactly five years earlier.

Chancellor Angela Merkel said Munich had suffered a “night of horror”.

P.S. DO YOU WANT MORE ARTICLES
LIKE THIS ONE DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX?
SIGN UP FOR THE DAILY BREITBART NEWSLETTER.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.

SIGN UP FOR THE OFFICIAL
BREITBART EMAIL NEWSLETTER

GET TODAY'S TOP NEWS DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX

I don't want to get today's top news.

x