TEL AVIV – Israel’s UN envoy Danny Danon on Saturday called on the Security Council to condemn last week’s spate of attacks in Israel and to recognize them as acts of terror.
In a letter to the 15-member council, Danon laid blame with the Palestinian Authority which he said has “inspired these perpetrators, many of them very young, with its vicious incitement campaign.”
The PA leadership’s “calls for tolerance and peace [are] nothing more than hollow rhetoric,” Danon noted. He added that under PA President Mahmoud Abbas, the PA “spends over seven percent of its annual budget on monthly salaries to Palestinian terrorists and their families.”
Abbas’ actions “demonstrably undermine stability in the region,” he wrote. “In response, Israel reserves the right to protect its citizens.”
“The time for rhetoric is over, it is time for the international community to act against these terror operations in Judea and Samaria, and in Gaza,” Danon told The Jerusalem Post.
In October, Danon issued a similar letter to the Security Council in the wake of the Barkan terrorist attack that claimed the lives of two Israelis. The council ignored Danon’s demand and failed to issue a condemnation.
The Security Council is set to convene on Wednesday to discuss the cross-border attack tunnels dug by Hezbollah and exposed last week by the IDF. The meeting, which was called by the U.S. at Israel’s behest, will also discuss Hezbollah’s violations of UN Resolution 1701 which ended the 2006 Second Lebanon War.