Third Arrest Made in Connection with Parsons Green Terrorist Attack

AP Photo/Tim Ireland

Detectives investigating Friday’s Parsons Green terrorist attack have arrested a third man in Wales on Tuesday night.

Metropolitan Police confirmed in a statement that a 25-year-old man [suspect ‘C’] was arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act at approximately 19:08hrs at an address in Newport, south east Wales.

The arrest was carried out by officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, supported by colleagues from Gwent Police and the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU).

A search is taking place at an address in the Newport following the arrest. Two other men who were arrested on Saturday remain in police custody.

An 18-year-old man [A] was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover at approximately 07:50hrs on Saturday. He is reportedly an Iraqi refugee who was in the care of foster couple Ronald and Penelope Jones in Surrey.

Media reports claim that he was arrested by police at Parsons Green station two weeks prior to the attack, and had been referred to the Government’s anti-radicalisation programme several months ago.

He is suspected of planting the ‘bucket bomb’ on the tube train which partially detonated during Friday morning rush hour, injuring 29. A warrant for his further detention was granted by Westminster Magistrates’ Court until 23 September.

A 21-year-old [B], who was identified as Syrian refugee Yahyah Faroukh, was arrested in Hounslow at 23:50hrs on Saturday night. It is believed the Syrian arrived in the UK four years ago, aged around 17, and was also being cared for by the elderly foster couple. A warrant for his further detention was granted by Westminster Magistrates’ Court until 21 September.

The foster couple, who were honoured by the Queen in 2009 for their work with families and child services and were known for caring for refugee children from conflict zones, are believed to have not been aware of their charge’s intent.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Met Counter Terrorism Command, said: “This continues to be a fast-moving investigation. A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday.

“We now have three men in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses. Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack.”

“We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption. However it is important that we continue with these searches and I’d like to thank all those affected for their support, patience and cooperation,” he added.


Please let us know if you're having issues with commenting.