Report: 200 Middle East Nationals with ‘Mental Health’ Issues to Arrive in U.S. as Refugees Next Year

Nearly 200 Middle East nationals, primarily from Pakistan and Afghanistan, will arrive in the United States as refugees in January 2018 after President Trump failed to end a refugee deal with Australia that he committed to opposing.

Former President Obama signed the Australian-U.S. refugee deal during his last months in office — promising to take 1,250 Middle Eastern refugees off Australia’s hands.

The refugees – who are mostly adult, single males – were being held in detention centers on Manus Island and Nauru Island in Australia. Despite Trump’s original statement calling the deal “a dumb deal,” the president has now broken two long-promised campaign pledges: Throwing out deals that don’t benefit Americans and stopping the flow of foreign refugees.

A report from the Guardian revealed that close to 200 of the mostly Afghan and Pakistani nationals will begin arriving in the U.S. sometime after January 12, 2018. Already, about 54 Middle Eastern refugees from the Australian detention centers have been resettled in the U.S., despite allegedly having mental health problems, as Breitbart News reported.

Most recently, Breitbart News reported how an immigration advocate revealed to the New York Times that the refugees expected to be resettled in the U.S. have “acute mental health problems.”

The Times reported:

“If the U.S. isn’t going to accept people from certain countries, they should make that crystal clear now so Australia can make alternative arrangements,” said Elaine Pearson, the Australia director for Human Rights Watch. “There’s no time to waste — these refugees have acute mental health problems made worse by years of uncertainty and insecurity on Manus and Nauru.” [Emphasis added]

Despite “extreme vetting” being touted by the Trump administration, the refugees accepted for resettlement in the U.S. have a history of living amongst rioters, accused pedophiles, and sexual harassers.

In January, a refugee from Sri Lanka living in the detention centers raped an 18-year-old high school student multiple times after taking her to a nearby hotel, according to Loop. The girl tried to run away to a relative’s home, but suffered so much blood loss from the brutal rape that she eventually fainted.

In another case in March, law enforcement officials confirmed that a 28-year-old Pakistani from the detention center had been charged with raping a 10-year-old girl, the Guardian reported.

Just a month later, refugees from the detention center were accused of trying to lure a five-year-old boy into the facility, causing an uproar in the local community about the danger the foreign nationals have become to children, as News Corp Australia Network reported.

Ann Corcoran, an expert on refugee resettlement and its impact on American communities, has previously told Breitbart News that Trump’s failure to end the Australian-U.S. refugee deal is the president’s “worst” decision he has made while in office.

“On the surface, this is a purely insane thing,” Corcoran previously said. “We have never done anything like this.”

“This is probably the worst deal I’ve seen within the last 10 years by the refugee resettlement program,” Corcoran said.

While the U.S. will have to resettle the 1,250 refugees across communities, Americans will see no benefits to the deal. In exchange for resettling the refugees, roughly 50-60 Central Americans who are currently residing in Costa Rica will be resettled in Australia.

John Binder is a reporter for Breitbart New. Follow him on Twitter at @JxhnBinder.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.