In a press conference in Wales, President Obama vowed to “degrade and destroy” ISIS, frequently speaking about American and international efforts to “degrade” the capability of terrorists.
See all six ‘degrade’ mentions below:
- “Secretary Kerry will now travel to the region to continue building the broad-based coalition that will enable us to degrade and ultimately destroy ISIL.”
- “[T]here’s great conviction that we have to act as part of the international community to degrade and ultimately destroy ISIL.”
- “Keep in mind, we’ve taken already 100 strikes in Iraq that have had a significant impact on degrading their capabilities.”
- “We are going to degrade and ultimately defeat ISIL, the same way that we have gone after al Qaeda.”
- “[W]e released today the fact that we had killed the leader of al-Shabaab in Somalia, and have consistently worked to degrade their operations.”
- “You systematically degrade their capabilities. You narrow their scope of action. You slowly shrink the space, the territory that they may control.”