The NFL’s first openly gay player’s jersey is second in sales among NFL draftees, topping sales of No. 1 pick Jedeveon Clowney’s and trailing only Johnny Manziel’s.
The St. Louis Rams selected Michael Sam with a seventh-round pick on Saturday and, according to the NFL, his jerseys have been flying out of their stores. Among players who are in the top five in jersey sales, Sam is the only one who was not drafted in the first round:
1. Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns
2. Michael Sam, St. Louis Rams
3. Jadeveon Clowney, Houston Texans
4. Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings
5. Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars
“This is unprecedented for a Day 3 pick, let alone a seventh round pick, to crack the top five rookies sold following Draft weekend,” NFL spokesperson Joanna Hunter said.