Geraldo Is First Contestant Eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ After Donald Trump Routine

Twitter/@GeraldoRivera
Twitter/@GeraldoRivera

Fox News contributor Geraldo Rivera was the first contestant eliminated from the 22nd season of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars on Monday after he attempted a Donald Trump-themed salsa routine.

The 72-year-old, who had fallen to the bottom of the rankings last week, promised to “make dance great again.”

He began his routine situated at a desk in the Oval Office and donning a Trump wig and spray tan.

After fielding a call from “Vlad” (Vladimir Putin), Rivera ditched his suit for a Hawaiian shirt and was joined by his partner, professional dancer Edyta Sliwinska, who played the role of Melania Trump.

Watch a clip of the routine:

After a lackluster performance, judge Carrie Ann Inaba told Rivera, “Unfortunately you did not make dance great again, but you did make me laugh.”

Added fellow judge Len Goodman, “There is a word in the dictionary that describes this. It’s ‘trumpery.’ … No dance background, but you come out here and you give it your best shot. So Geraldo, I salute you.”

Host Tom Bergeron also joked, “The outfit was great, but the hands are too big.”

Prior to the show, Rivera took to Twitter to tease the performance:

After being cut, he said, “Everybody is so serious about it. We thought we’d have a laugh.”

Rivera also said he agreed with the show’s decision to eliminate him:

.