As the political world marvels at the stunning victory of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in a New York Democratic primary over Rep. Joe Crowley a 20-year veteran of the Democratic party, here is a look at her political platform.
Ocasio-Cortez ran as a Democratic Socialist and promised to fight for:
- Tuition-free public college
- Federal jobs guarantee for $15 an hour jobs
- Abolishing ICE
- Housing as a human right
- Full paid child and sick leave
- Ending private prisons
- Legalization of Marijuana
- Ban Assault Weapons, High-Capacity Magazines, and Bump Stocks
- Releasing individuals sentenced for nonviolent drug offenses
- Ending cash bail
- One-time policy of student debt cancellation
- A carbon-free, 100% renewable energy system and a fully modernized electrical grid by 2035.
“You have given this country hope!” Ocasio-Cortez told supporters in her victory speech. “What you have shown is that this nation is never beyond remedy, it is never beyond hope, it is never too broken to fix. We will be here and we are going to rock the world in the next two years.”